Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Commuting to Work

I began commuting to work in July 2008 during the peak gas prices. My commute is 3.2 miles each way. My commute is pretty flat (sidewinding along the railroad tracks from the Old West Side to South State), with the exception of the hill up South State at the end on the way into work.

My motivation to finally start commuting by bike was less financial (I calculated I would save $8.00 a week if I rode every day) than health and wellness. I've always loved riding my bike, and I'm increasingly inspired by people who live far greener lives than I do. Moreover, with young kids and a demanding job (albeit one that has me sitting most of the day), I never seem to fine time to exercise. Riding my bike to work allows me to get a little exercise in each day, as well as be out and about in Ann Arbor, a city I really enjoy living in.

Here's my current ride:



It's a 15-year-old Bridgestone MB6 mountain bike. I replaced the seat and wheels last summer at Great Lakes Cycling and Fitness. I added front and rear lights from them in the fall. I bought new fenders in the fall from REI. Next I intend to add a rack and panniers.

No comments: